The purpose of the Granite City Park District is to enhance the quality of life through the development of facilities and the offering of programs and recreation services; to preserve the environment through the conservation and protection of natural resources; and to provide leisure opportunities for the benefits of its citizens.
Since 1921 the Park District has served as a cornerstone of activities for our community. We take great pride in developing well organized activities for the young people of our community. In addition to recreation programs the Park District offers a wide variety of walking paths, beautiful gardens, and mesmerizing fountains for our community to enjoy.
The Granite City Park District came into existence as a result of a special election held on February 19, 1921.
The first taxes were later collected in 1921 and totaled just over $5,000. Then a bond issue of $135,000 was passed later in that year and Wilson Park was developed. Wilson Park opened to the public on June 1, 1923.
An additional 18 acres was added to Wilson Park in 1926. One of the first properties purchased by the park district was the property across from Gateway Regional Hospital (formerly St. Elizabeth hospital). It was purchased for $6,500 and was dedicated in 1921 as a memorial to war veterans. The fountain on the property was dedicated in 1961 and went under a major renovation in the spring of 2004.
Mr. Ernest Svieking served as the first Superintendent and was responsible for the development of the beautiful garden area which occurred in the mid 1920s.
The Park District's first swimming pool was built in 1922 and had a sand bottom. The diving tower of the original pool still exists and is now known as the "sunken gardens".
Since the original pool Wilson Park has had two pools since. A new pool was completed in 1940, the result of a $55,000 bond issue and was used until 1992. The latest (current) pool opened in July 1994 after the community passed a bond referendum for $1.8 million. It was built adjacent to the ice rink which opened in 1967 after a successful campaign to sell $465,000 in bonds.
We love our customers, so feel free to visit during normal business hours.
2900 Benton Street, Granite City, Illinois 62040, United States
09:00 am – 05:00 pm
Copyright © 2022 Granite City Park District - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by GoDaddy Website Builder